Thinking of baking this weekend – why not try this delicious gluten-free almond cake recipe is easy to make and naturally sweetened.
This recipe is nutritious and heart-healthy as it is made with olive oil.
- 2 cups almond meal or almond flour, plus extra for dusting the pan
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- ⅔ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons grated lemon zest, plus more for garnish
Glaze and topping
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or honey
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ pound ripe strawberries, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh blueberries (6 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius. Grease a 9″ springform pan. Dust it with almond meal.
- For the cake preparation - combine in a large bowl all dry ingredients: almond meal, baking powder, baking soda, salt & cinnamon. Whisk to blend.
- Combine the wet ingredients in a separate bowl: start by cracking the eggs, whisk until the yolks and egg whites have blended together. Continue with adding the olive oil, maple syrup and lemon zest. Whisk again to blend. Pour the wet ingredients into the almond meal mixture and stir until there are just a few clumps remaining.
- Transfer the batter into the pan. (Don’t worry if it’s runny). Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and the center is firm to the touch.
- While the cake is baking – we can make the glaze. Whisk together the lemon juice and 1 tablespoon maple syrup until blended.
- Once the cake is out of the oven, place the cake & pan on a cooling rack. While the cake is warm, use a pastry brush to brush the glaze over the top of the cake so that it soaks in the glaze.
- Let the cake cool for at least 30 minutes. Remove the cake once cooled down.
- Spread yogurt evenly on top, then place strawberries and blueberries on top. Sprinkle with some additional lemon zest and enjoy!